Get the latest GoPro HD Hero free firmware. We've created a firmware info page.
Place an order today. HD HERO picture gallery
SKIP TO SECTION:
It could possibly be the world's smallest self-contained 1080p camera. Available models are: Helmet Hero HD, Motorsports Hero HD, Surf Hero HD, and Naked Hero HD (no mounts). ALL are WIDE ANGLE. Other models and new accessories will be available in the coming months. HD Hero is compatible with all the current mounts (except the underwater housing).
HD HERO price starts at $259+tax for a complete camera kit.
100's of uses:
- Cars, Boats, Planes, Trains, Motorcycles, Jet Skis, Quadrunners….
- Surfboard, Skateboard, Boogie Boards…
- Hot Air Balloons, Rafting, Canoeing
- On a helmet for all the above
- R/C cars: boats/planes/trains/helium balloons
The HD Hero has professional grade video and stills and would be great for:
- Wedding photographers that want extra still/video angles for little money (stills every 2 second thru 60 second intervals)
- Vacation camera on land or water (goes to 100 feet underwater)
- Camera for Real Estate agents, Interior Designers, Divers, Boy Scouts...
- Camera for training videos in tight quarters such as auto repair
- Camera for events, shows
- At the end of a guitar, on a drum kit, on a singer's mic
- Time lapse camera (every 2 second thru 60 second intervals)
Here's an introduction to the HD Hero from the GoPro President himself:
Our underwater flat lens housing and a custom shark fin mount we designed were featured
in HD on Discover Channel's Shark Week, Into The Shark Bite
Here's a video that one of our customers sent to us.
It really show what a great VACATION and everyday camera the HD Hero can be.
Watch at 720p.
shot by pompof95
This camera does amazing time-lapse. Check out this video:
Playing with Time from Kurt Rummel
Here's the ultimate Hero HD camera shootout: we put a $4500 Canon XH-A1 HDV video camera
against the $259 Hero HD camera package in a video shootout.
Eye Of Mine has developed an exclusive rollbar mount that is amazing in it's flexibility.
Watch the video to find out more about it.
Below are Tips and Tricks for all GoPro mounts as well as a few other mounts and accessories
to help you get the most out of your camera.
PART 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuFLCCGeU-g&feature=player_embedded
PART 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr9DGUaEux0&feature=player_embedded
PART 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nkuwoAZz1k&feature=player_embedded
Our YouTube Channel
in the right panel, click on "SEE ALL" videos
(actual GoPro HD HERO pictures)
Professional Quality, Full HD Video
1080p, 960p, and 720p in 30 and 60 fps (720p). The HD HERO line
of cameras offers three different HD resolutions and one standard
resolution, giving you four video resolutions to capture the best
angles for any given activity.
- 1080p: 1920x1080 True HD featuring a 127º angle of view, 30 fps, and 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio
- 960p: 1280x960 Ultra Wide and Tall HD
featuring a 170º angle of view, 30 fps, and 4:3 aspect ratio. See more
of the action above and below than widescreen16:9 resolutions can show.
- 720p: 1280x720 Ultra Wide HD featuring a 170º angle of view, both 30 and 60 fps, and 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio
- 480p: 848x480. This is a wide DVD format
at 60fps progressive which is great for times when you don't need HD. So
it's basically 2 cameras in one!
USB car charger & wall charger: Extra battery pac, LCD monitor
Here's some actual screenshots from HD Hero VIDEO footage (shrunk down to 600 pixels wide):
| SD Cards:
If a card is 8GB or larger, it AUTOMATICALLY is an SDHC card (secure
digital high capacity). SDHC currently goes up to 64GB (64GB not
compatible with HD Hero). MINIMUM speed for this camera is a class 4
which equals 4MB/s (equal to a 26x speed rating card). Ideally, you
want the fastest class card you can afford which currently is a class 6
(6MB/s or 40x speed rating). It will turn on faster, save faster,
transfer faster to your computer. Do not use a CLASS 10 card. It will
If you have a card in the camera and the camera shuts down
after a few minutes, that usually means the card isn't fast enough and
can't store the data fast enough. DO NOT use a microSD adapter. It will cause problems. GoPro has determined that Kingston 16GB class 4 or 6 and Patriot 16GB class 4 or 6 are the best choices.
| Minimum Focus:
We've done a preliminary minimum focus test and it appears it's
somewhere around 8". We've also discovered that if you put simple
reading glasses in front of the lens it will focus closer. Glasses must
be 2.50 or more to make a difference.
Removing wide-angle distortion:
There is a free program that does a good job of removing some or all of
the distortion caused by the Hero wide-angle lens. It's called GLM Undistorter.
Photoshop users: It IS possible to reduce or even eliminate the wide-angle distortion
in Photoshop by using a filter in CS2, CS3 and CS4. It's:
filter/distort/lens correction. Below are a few extreme examples. It
seems to give you wide format for free! Here's a PDF for Photoshop users on how to use this filter effectively.
ORIGINAL IMAGE: AFTER PHOTOSHOP CORRECTION:
is a free program that will convert an mp4 file to AVI file if you have
an editing program that does not support MP4 (with H.264 compression
CODEC). This would include be most lower-end editing programs. More information on the MP4cam2AVI program.
A more robust video conversion program is called MPEG Streamclip.
Don't let the name fool you. It converts anything to anything (Mac and
PC). AND IT'S FREE. If it says you need Quicktime Alternative, you
can find it here.
An added benefit for this converter is you can designate a new start
and end point for the rendered file, getting rid of dead spots at the
beginning and end of your camera video.
Video Player: Will play back ANY KIND of video file is VIDEOLAN, and it's FREE! (PC and Mac)
CODEC Pack: K-lite. This may enable your computer to play/edit with MP4 files if it doesn' t already. Use the mega pack.
| HD Hero detailed specifications:
GoPro’s HD Helmet HERO is the world’s highest
performance wearable 1080p HD video and still photo camera.
Professional quality 1080p / 960p / 720p HD resolutions record at 30
and 60 frames per second (60 fps in 720p). Record up to 2.5 hours on a
single charge and up to 9 hours total on a 32GB SD card (not included).
The camera can also shoot automatic 5MP photos
at 2/5/10/30 and 60 second intervals during your activity, hands free.
Press the shutter button once at the start of your activity and record
up to 2.5 hours of poster-print quality photos of you and your friends,
living it up.
- Lens Type: Fixed Focus (2ft/.6m – ∞), glass
- Aperture: f/2.8 (high performance in low-light situations)
- Angle of View: 170º ultra wide angle in WVGA/720p / 960p
- Angle of View: 127º wide angle in 1080p hd
HD Video Resolution Settings
Format and codec: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
- 1080p - 1920x1080 pixels, 30 fps, 12 Mbit/s data rate
- 960p - 1280x960 pixels, 30 fps, 10 Mbit/s data rate
- 720p - 1280x720 pixels, 30 fps with 7.5 Mbit/s data rate, OR 60 fps with 15 Mbit/s data rate
- WVGA (848x480): 60 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate
Video Sensor & Light Control
- Sensor Type: 1/2.5" HD CMOS, 2.2µm pixels
- Light Sensitivity: Super low-light sensitivity (>1.4 V/lux-sec)
- Exposure Control: Auto with user selectable center weighted average and spot metering settings
- White Balance: Auto
- Microphone: Built-in, mono with AGC (automatic gain control)
- Audio Format: 48 kHz, AAC audio compression
- Resolution: 5 megapixel
- Capture Modes: Single shot, photo every 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 secs.; 3 photo burst; self-timer
- Memory: SD card, up to 32GB capacity (SDHC)
- Average recording times with 32GB SD card:
- 1080p (30 fps): 4hrs. 21 minutes
- 960p (30 fps): 5 hrs. 26 minutes
- 720p (30 fps): 8 hrs. 9 minutes
- 720p (60 fps): 4 hrs. 21 minutes
- WVGA (848x480 60fps): 8 hrs. 9 minutes
Camera Connectors & Media Download Cables
- PC Connection: USB 2.0 (data connection and battery charging)
- HDTV Out: HD NTSC & PAL (component cable incl.)
- Audio Out: Combo 2.5mm jack with stereo audio and composite video out
- PC Compatibility: Windows ME, 2000, XP, and Vista; Mac OS X 10.2 and later
Power & Battery
- Battery Type: Rechargeable 1100 mAh Lithium-Ion
- Battery Life: Approx. 2.5 hrs
- Charging: via USB to computer or optional power adapter
- Charge Time: 80% capacity after 1 hour with optional power adapter; or 2 hours with a computer’s USB port
Waterproof Camera Housing
- Depth Rating: Up to 180 feet / 60 meters
- Construction: Polycarbonate and stainless steel
- Hardware: Stainless steel
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 1.6” x 2.4” x 1.2” (42mm x 60mm x 30mm)
- Weight: 5.3oz/150g incl. battery, 6.3oz/179g incl. housing
- Rechargable 1100 mAh Lithium-Ion Battery
- Full Line of Mounting Accessories
Optional Expansion Bakpacs™
An innovative expansion port on the back of the
camera, the HERO Bus™ accepts optional Expansion Bakpacs to expand the
functionality of HD HERO cameras:
- LCD Bakpac for on-camera preview and playback.
- Endurance Battery Bakpac for double battery life.